View Single Post
Old 12-13-2006, 02:02 PM   #61
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States
Re: For Ted Ehara - Boundary of your aikido?

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote:
Quote:
Erick Mead wrote:
And therefore outside the boundaries of Aikido.
In your opinion...not mine...
Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote:
Who are you to define the boundaries of Aikido, Erick?
Not my opinion nor my authority. OSensei's. I quoted him directly. He was pretty clear on that point; "absolute," in fact.

Aikido = NOT-resistance :: resistance = NOT-Aikido.

A = NOT B ; B = NOT-A.

Among the more basic logical propositions.

The only question is whether what you all are doing is resistance or motion, or a combination thereof. You all seem to claim it is neither one nor both. And that is just not possible.
Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote:
According to your self-styled rules,
"Self-styled." Quoting O Sensei. An intersting usage that I was not previously aware of ...
Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote:
... the demonstrations by Ueshiba, where someone pushed on him and he did not move, are "outside the boundaries of Aikido". I think you need to recognize that as brilliant as you undoubtedly are, your abilities to define for everyone what Aikido is are probably limited when your theories miss the point.
Fortunately for me, since I am not, a brilliant effort is not required. I simply reconcile the statements you make with the conflicting statements he made -- by concluding that you are wrong when it comes to Aikido. How can I conclude otherwise? You all do bear the burden of overcoming O Sensei's direct statements that facially conflict with your premises -- if you hope to persuade anybody.

I have seen many clips of what you speak: the "chest push;" the "thigh push;" the "seated push."

"Il muove." So far.

Point me to one where he doesn't move; you keep saying that there are. Show me. I am open minded.

You also have not attempted to rebut a earlier point I made in another thread that even if he can be shown "not moving" (assuming such a clip exists) in responcse to force, how do you show that this is not merely a demonstration to show the pointlessness of "strength" contests versus aikido. He was by all accounts plenty strong. This is especially suspect since all these examples seem to be limited to demos as opposed to principles he gave in his explicit aikido instruction and were recorded by his primary deshi.

That he did not teach these means of resistance is also evidence that they were not aikido. Not useless, but not aikido.

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.