View Single Post
Old 12-13-2006, 01:32 PM   #59
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States
Re: For Ted Ehara - Boundary of your aikido?

Quote:
David Knowlton wrote:
The force is redirected through the system of 'sticks and strings' that is our bodies.
Fair enough, where to? Ground reaction is still reaction -- being a buttress instead of a piston.
Quote:
David Knowlton wrote:
The movement you seek may be unmeasurably small flexions of tendons, and compression of bones.
Yikes. I don't go for bone compression. Is this not, again, language of simple inertial reaction? Or elastic deformation -- i.e spring-force resistance ?
Quote:
David Knowlton wrote:
It does not 'feel' the same as resistance, because of the network. It's a subjective thing - best I can do bro.
The first thing I learned about 3-D mechanics is that it is a counterintuive, and frequently nonlinear environment. Try force paths in spaceframe analysis for statics. Or masonry vaults. God loves vaults. He had medieval stonemasons curse generations of engineers by building lots and lots of them. For dynamics -- I can put you in an airplane and make you "feel" perfectly "right-side-up" but that does not make it so.
Quote:
David Knowlton wrote:
God help me here, but maybe there are losses to friction also.
God won't help you there -- friction is wholly the work of the Devil -- ruined a bunch of perfectly good perpetual motion machines ...

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.