View Single Post
Old 12-13-2006, 01:37 PM   #17
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: How to teach and train relaxation

Quote:
Mark Jakabcsin wrote:
I am understanding that you are saying above that one learns relaxation by learning to use the kokyu/jin forces. Is that correct? Is there a method to bridge the two or does it just happen? Also if you do not mind please give the definitions of kokyu and jin that you are using so we can all stay on the same page. Thanks.
Mark, everyone uses jin forces in their daily lives. It's a skill that we all have, like many other skills, but one which can be developed to a high level and which is martially very applicable.

Notice that I said "jin" in the above paragraph and for once I didn't say "jin/kokyu" or "kokyu". There's a reason. The full definition of "kokyu" will include some of the development of the fascia/breathing stuff; for that reason I tend to say that "jin is the essence of kokyu".

We can all plunk a taut string. But it's a lot of training to go from there to playing a guitar. Same thing with jin... we can all do it, but it's a long way from there to the single-grain qi and high-level force manipulation.

Just to give you a better idea of what I'm talking about in regard to "jin" and "relaxation", try the following:

Stand upright, arms hanging by the sides, feet parallel and shoulder-width apart. Have friend come to your right side and push against your shoulder (and hold for a few seconds steadily) in the direction of the left side of the body... either he pushes horizontally or slightly downward toward your left leg. Force should not exceed 4-5 pounds. Relax your lower back and hold his push with your left leg/foot. Just a few seconds, but make sure his force is steady, his elbow is straight (to keep the force rigid).

Then have him walk around to the other side, to the left shoulder. You shouldn't move a muscle. Let him push in the same way on the left shoulder and you let the push be held purely with the right leg/foot.

Keep doing it a few times. As you get better at it, you'll notice that you need only "will" the path from your shoulder to your foot on the opposite side and your use of muscle will decrease. The path forms almost automatically with a little practice. This is the essence of what jin is, but it's the coarse beginning steps, not the "I got jin!!!!" step.

Can you see how good jin and relaxation go together with that example?

Regards,

Mike