Old 12-13-2006, 01:14 PM   #12
Mark Jakabcsin
Dojo: Charlotte Systema, Charlotte, NC
United_States
Re: How to teach and train relaxation

Many interesting posts, thanks to all.

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote:
It's my experience that until someone knows how to use the kokyu/jin forces, they do not really "relax" or stop moving from the shoulders. The essence of the kokyu forces is that they derive their power from either the ground or the weight, allowing the load-bearing responsibilities to shift to the ground or weight and thus relieving the primary muscle-system of the necessity for normal muscular tension.
Mike,
I am understanding that you are saying above that one learns relaxation by learning to use the kokyu/jin forces. Is that correct? Is there a method to bridge the two or does it just happen? Also if you do not mind please give the definitions of kokyu and jin that you are using so we can all stay on the same page. Thanks.

Forum,
I suppose we should also have a discussion about tension as it is the opposite of relaxation. What creates tension and/or where does it come from, seems like a good place to start. By identifying and becoming aware of what creates our tension perhaps we can work to reduce/eliminate these causes and become more relaxed. Yes/No?

Mark J.