View Single Post
Old 12-13-2006, 08:24 AM   #46
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside
Re: For Ted Ehara - Boundary of your aikido?

Quote:
Ted Ehara wrote:
Like a musician who transposes music from one key to another, Morihei Ueshiba changed the concepts that appeared in Onisaburo Deguchi's The Reikai Monogatari (Tales of the Spirit World) into the practices that would become known as Aikido. He did not originate these concepts, but transformed them into a budo.

Of course you could argue that "he" didn't create aikido, but it was the kami which possessed him that did. This could be sticky argument from a psychological standpoint, but it is certainly easier to argue than Erick's AJ article of O Sensei as rabbinical student.

I don't see any difference between Dennis Hooker's statements and what Kanshu Sunadomari wrote in Enlightenment through Aikido. Normally I would assume Hooker was repeating the book, except that Sunadormari also mentioned the Monogatari utopian concept from O Sensei's writings and talks.

That is just transposition.
I still don't get the point... why the "just"? as if his contribution to creating something new was somehow smaller than it was...

Lots of folks subscribed to these spiritual ideas. The Omotkyo had a hundreds of thousands followers at one point. Only O-Sensei took these concepts and related them to Budo movement and prectice. His interpretation of Budo is unique.

You can find the sources for his spiritual ideas in a number of places. You can find the sources for his martial techniques in various places. But before O-Sensei, you could not find a form of Budo that was like what O-Sensei created; not in the outer form or in the practice.

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com