View Single Post
Old 12-12-2006, 07:18 PM   #35
tedehara

Dojo: Evanston Ki-Aikido
Re: For Ted Ehara - Boundary of your aikido?

Quote:
George S. Ledyard wrote:
Ted,
I absolutely have no idea what you mean by this statement... what do you mean he is "just" transposing cosmology into Aiki terminology?

Of course he was transposing Omotokyo ideas into somethjing new which he created out of his spiritual practice and his martial practice. O-Sensei had an extensive Shingon background as well as a deep commitment to Omotokyo. He had a varied martial background with a primary influence of Daito Ryu. His creation of Aikido was a unique interpretation of those elements...
Like a musician who transposes music from one key to another, Morihei Ueshiba changed the concepts that appeared in Onisaburo Deguchi's The Reikai Monogatari (Tales of the Spirit World) into the practices that would become known as Aikido. He did not originate these concepts, but transformed them into a budo.

Of course you could argue that "he" didn't create aikido, but it was the kami which possessed him that did. This could be sticky argument from a psychological standpoint, but it is certainly easier to argue than Erick's AJ article of O Sensei as rabbinical student.

I don't see any difference between Dennis Hooker's statements and what Kanshu Sunadomari wrote in Enlightenment through Aikido. Normally I would assume Hooker was repeating the book, except that Sunadormari also mentioned the Monogatari utopian concept from O Sensei's writings and talks.

Quote:
Moon of Onisaburo Deguchi wrote:
About the Monogatari...It is also an odyssey of how good deities establish a Maitreyan utopia on earth while leading evil spirits to mend their ways with divine power.
Quote:
the Founder wrote:
Life's true purpose is to build an infinite and eternal Heaven on the face of the Earth. from Enlightenment through Aikido pg. 65
That is just transposition.

It is not practice that makes perfect, it is correct practice that makes perfect.
About Ki
About You