View Single Post
Old 02-07-2002, 08:31 AM   #3
Tim Griffiths
Dojo: Nes Ziona Aikikai
China
No, no, and "necessary but not sufficent and vice versa".

Aikido is a martial art. This is not a grey area. Someone who does aikido is doing a martial art. Someone who practices a martial art is a martial artist, good or bad.
To say something else you have to twist one of the definitions so far as to make it unrecognisable, or useless.

Even Koichi Tohei made a distinction between teaching 'ki movement' and teaching aikido (although initally more distinction than he would have liked ).

You can do a physical activity that follows aiki principles, and that could technically be called aiki-do, but its not what is generally understood by the term, and it isn't aikido. You can practice what you like. Hell, if you lived next door to me I'd give you a lift to the club to do it. But if it isn't aikido, it isn't aikido.

Now, with a degree of sophistry, I could say that as there should be no conflict in aikido, and as 'martial' (of, pertaining to, or suited for, war) refers directly to conflict, then aikido is not technically a martial art, and so an aikidoist is not really a martial artist. I could say that, but I won't, because a) its silly and b) I would be wrong. I'm sure it doesn't mean someone else will, though.

Why do you ask?

Tim

If one makes a distinction between the dojo and the battlefield, or being in your bedroom or in public, then when the time comes there will be no opportunity to make amends. (Hagakure)