View Single Post
Old 12-11-2006, 08:51 AM   #491
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside
Re: Aikido: The learning of natural movement

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote:
Not to put too fine a point on it.
But I'm really starting to question folks understanding of the phrase internal "power." Its not always about pushing you off or rebounding you. It is THEE finest way to connect and be ghosty, or connect and carry/lead their intent around with you or lead it off that I know of.
Power ? Yes?
But, for many uses.
And fighting if you have the skill and experience and train becomes a connected whole. Mind/.body/fighting accumen all in one.
The -way-you choose to fight is up to you. No matter what your choice intense or casual you will just be more efficient, controlling of their efforts, and very difficult to stop for average Martial artists.
Cheers
Dan
Hi Dan,

Without actually getting a chance to actually feel what you are talking about, I can only judge what your intent is from the discussions I follow. Most of what has been emphasized in the previous posts I have read have concerned issues like the so-called jo-trick, being difficult to throw, having explosive power etc. I finally got the cahnce to train a bit with Mike this summer and he was kind enougth to outline his descriptive vocabulary for me and show me exectly what he meant. So I have a much clearer idea what he means when he posts now. I have not had that with you so it is still unclear to me. I suspect that we have many of the same ideas about the principles but have not yet achieved a common descriptive basis for talking about it.

It is THEE finest way to connect and be ghosty, or connect and carry/lead their intent around with you or lead it off that I know of.

If there could be more discussion about this aspect of what I would call "aiki", I'd have a better picture of what you are doing. Thanks.

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com