View Single Post
Old 12-07-2006, 01:33 PM   #8
SeiserL

Dojo: Roswell Budokan, Kyushinkan Dojo, Aikido World Alliance
United_States
Re: Why are you here on this forum?

IMHO, this question is very important and one that we should ask ourselves on a regular.

To me, it speaks to intent.

What is my intention by being here? I am an active student of Aikido. My intent if to further my understanding in dialog and discussion and hopefully be of some small assistance in sharing my perceptions with others. If you read my post with that intent in mind, you will probably get what I am trying to say. If on the other hand, you believe my intent is to hide behind rank and gentlemanly ways, you will get a whole different meaning.

Some people (only a few) I have no idea why they post here. Their intent is totally lost on me. Unless its just to stir the pot. I must admit that I think the Aikido pot needs stirring every once and a while. Even being questioned by "outsiders" keeps me open to finding answers and hearing different perspective.

Now, IMHO, intent is a major component of efficient and effective waza. I believe that Ki is directed by our intent. Therefore, I can often feel the difference in being thrown by someone who is just walking through the motions, trying not to hurt me, and one who really intends to send me flying. I can feel the anger, fear, love, competence, and insecurity of the person throwing. We can feel the comfort level in the person taking the fall. No mystery. We all can.

While we can not nothing about why others train or not train, post or not post, we can surely do something about our own intent.

Others? Well, that does remain a mystery to me, but not everything needs an explanation to my satisfaction, especially if I don't really care.

Great question. Compliments and appreciation. Looking forward to the seminar.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!