View Single Post
Old 12-07-2006, 08:51 AM   #12
aikiSteve
Dojo: Aikido of Norfolk
United_States
Re: 2 on 1+wife Rondori

I still haven't tried this yet, so i'll post what happens tonight. But what i'm envisioning happens is the lines of attack get royally screwed up. So the idea of 'stepping off line' doesn't make much sense anymore since nage is likely already off the line. I'm already guessing that there will be a bunch of extra moves to get back on the line, just to lead uke off it. I have a feeling the final placement of uke becomes far more critical. The ability to throw one uke between another uke and the protectee may be a powerful advantage.

I've spoken with a few other instructors that have done this class. Here's what they said:

Sensei Jackson, SC
We played with that same scenario a while back. I called it "bodyguard" randori. (interesting that you came across the same scenario - but I think that demonstrates that creative minds think alike) And we came across the same issue of whether the "client" followed the defender around - trying to stay behind them. I think we ended up with the person moving - trying to stay away from the attackers. We found that if the victim stayed in one place it didn't take long for one of the ukes to get around behind nage and get to the victim. problem was we kept running out of mat...

2 ukes is a good dynamic. the point is that the nage has to be assertive to some degree in order to keep the two ukes in tension. If nage just sits back close to the victim then both ukes close in. This demonstates a couple of the basic principles of basic randori - 1. that nage has to keep moving forward and 2. that nage should keep ukes in front of him. If one of the ukes gets around behind nage then they can "get" the victim. So, the victim becomes a metaphor for nage's weaknesses in a randori situation

Sensei Aaaark, South Pole (new Aikiweb columnist)
Penguins have to protect our eggs for 6 months. So we do this class all the time. You can do most any technique, just keep the person you're protecting between your legs and you'll be fine.

The real problem with protecting an egg is that it inherently 'eggs' the ukes on. Since you're a human you won't have to worry about that. Unless of course your protectee starts making rude comments about their mothers. If this occurs, you have to get in between them and move your egg back with your butt, while dealing with an uke who is trying to get past you, while not throwing him into your egg.

I must warn you though. If you practice this in a group, occasionally multiple eggs fall off our feet and end up in a pile. No one knows which egg is which.