View Single Post
Old 12-06-2006, 12:07 PM   #150
ChrisMoses
Dojo: TNBBC (Icho Ryu Aiki Budo), Shinto Ryu IaiBattojutsu
United_States
Re: Meeting with Dan Harden in Boston

Quote:
Tom Holz wrote:
I know the kind you are talking about. I do Akuzawa's tenchijin exercise that way--fifteen kills me now, but when I started I was hitting muscle failure after only three . I do the shiko much "softer", partly because I'm aiming for high-reps (100 per training session, split up by other exercises into groups of 20 or 25).
I'd love to hear Rob's take on this, but I've found that in order to do higher reps, I need to soften up what I'm doing internally, which seems to be counter to the intent of the exercises. Unlike say suburi, where you can find yourself in a zone where you're able to do higher reps after eliminating a lot of the unnecessary muscle groups, the Aunkai exercises seem to be designed to force various muscle groups to work against each other. So the stronger you get, and the more you do them the more you have to work at it to do the same thing. For the shiko, I'm doing sets of 10 but holding the top of the movement for a 10 count, then trying to lower myself slowly while still driving my weight into the 'stomp' and maintaining the cross (not to mention keeping the lower back straight/tucked). Blech, they are teh suckay... And don't even get me started on the weird store/release whip over thingy (although I think it might help me with my backside 3's in the park this year...)

Chris Moses
TNBBC, "Putting the ME in MEdiocre!"
Budo Tanren at Seattle School of Aikido
Shinto Ryu Iai-Battojutsu