View Single Post
Old 12-06-2006, 09:27 AM   #473
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: Aikido: The learning of natural movement

Quote:
Tim Anderson wrote:
The problem for the vast majority of Aikidoka out there is that we have been told what we are doing or what our teachers are doing is internal and comes from the center. Naturally, when we feel what our instructors do we assign their mechanics to the moving from the center category because that is what we are told they are doing. In other words we have been dictated to what the center should feel like without really knowing if that is truly what the center should feel like.
Good point, Tim. I stopped by a Pilates place and talked to some Yoga people, etc., etc., recently, and I find that they teach how to do things "from the center" and "breathe to strengthen the center" and "move from the center",etc., and it boils down to the fact that they've usurped the trendy term/phrase of "move from the center" and interpretted it as they feel like it... since they don't know any better.

So the error is probably back to being partially mine for not factoring in the point that many people aren't wrong because they're dummies, but because they've been educated into a belief that may not be accurate. I can accept that.

Regards,

Mike