View Single Post
Old 12-05-2006, 02:19 PM   #47
Robert Rumpf
Dojo: Academy of Zen and the Ways
United_States
Re: Practical internal training ?

Does anyone support or think feasible the idea that Ueshiba thought those skills were powerful, but morally neutral - while he specifically wanted to teach about morality and correct action, especially as his attitudes changed post-war and with his other enlightenments? That one comment I saw in some Tohei article about O'Sensei being annoyed that Tohei could demonstrate immovability in an "impure" state (hungover) comes to mind. O'Sensei connected spiritual enlightenment with his physical skills, almost to the point where the physical skills were not relevant, or perhaps were taken for granted. Therefore, O'Sensei emphasized the skills and methods less after the war, while his more current interests were in the theology and moral message, since that was where his interests were at that point..

I've noticed often in my training (and in my academic education) that my learning is strongly influenced by what my instructors are interested in teaching, not necessarily what I am ready, willing, and able to learn. Perhaps while O'Sensei's (especially postwar) students wanted to learn about martial arts, they were studying from someone who could certainly do martial arts, and so could show by example, but was only really interested in giving explicit lessons in morality.

I've certainly seen that happen at seminars (and in class) - the instructor is teaching one thing, but the students are trying to learn something else - if they are even trying to learn at all.

After that, everyone talks about how cryptic the instructor is.

Rob