View Single Post
Old 12-05-2006, 02:56 PM   #43
Cady Goldfield
United_States
Re: Practical internal training ?

Ellis,
I have been hearing about those indications as well, that Ueshiba did teach those things pre-war. Note that I state that it's his "later" aikido in which the internal component is lacking from the curriculum. It could have been philosophical on his part, could have been the result of becoming "jaded" by then (not wanting to waste "pearls" on students he didn't feel were "worthy"), or could have been the result from pressure on the outside (i.e. various schools of Daito-ryu) to stop teaching them outside a Daito-ryu context. I do believe, judging from his unusually close relationship with Takeda, that Ueshiba must have acquired genuine, high-level skills.

And, a former teacher can come to regret having awarded a symbol of "devotion and attainment," and perhaps act upon it. [Also, one doesn't have to be humble and completely obliterated of ego to stick with a harsh teacher. If that teacher has something of value that you covet, you may be strong enough of will and ego to say to yourself, "I'll stick with the old ba$t#%d until I have what I want. I don't see Ueshiba as having been an entirely humble soul. Am I mistaken?] Again, pure conjecture. Armchair deliberating may be unproductive, but it is entertaining.

The puzzle is, if Ueshiba did teach the internal curriculum to "high level shihan," why is there no indication at all that aikido today has it? Could all of those shihan have decided to keep the goodies to themselves? Are all aikido students today incapable of "getting it"? I kind of doubt the latter, I have my doubts about the former, too.

Actually, what amazes me is that a discussion like this can take place at all. Ten years ago ... or maybe even last year ... to broach the subject on an aikido forum would have guaranteed that buckets of tar and sacks of feathers would appear! These are indeed enlightened times.

Regards,
Cady

Last edited by Cady Goldfield : 12-05-2006 at 03:08 PM.