View Single Post
Old 12-04-2006, 06:29 AM   #34
DH
United_States
Re: Train of thought

Good morning Mark
I am just as eager to point out the true potential of AIkido as well. And have done so repeatedly.
Its not that I won't do it, I canlt anymore. I'd have to give up. It would go against everything I have trained for.

One one level, as a martial art, it's too lacking for me.
I'd settle for
1. Better external fighting skills; heavy hand punching and use of the legs in throwing, trapping, tripping and kicking, better chokes and ground techniques. then I could have fun playing.
Or
2. The internal skills that made the lesser Martial skills of Aikido so potent to being with.

Most who are adept at either of the above are going to be an overwhelming handful for most.
I think if Aikidoka adopted the second method it would be one of the more potent arts today. And to stay on track with the Ukemi thread going on as well. It would completely change the the training method and make the type of ukemi and the need for it a different animal all together.
Those in Aikido who wish to symbolize the robes and imperturbable collected whole of the warrior monk -who do not deign to use grosser technique. They would at least have some true power to back up that picture.

Dan

Last edited by DH : 12-04-2006 at 06:43 AM.