View Single Post
Old 12-03-2006, 10:16 PM   #406
Ellis Amdur
Re: Aikido: The learning of natural movement

I can't stand it. Erick - Ueshiba never got a menkyo in Yagyu Shinkage-ryu. He got one (a mid-level) after a few years studies in Yagyu Shingan-ryu, which doesn't have the muto principle whatsoever. Secondly, he apparently learned mostly jujutsu. He learned some Yagyu Shinkage-ryu in the mid-thirties, but he essentially cherry-picked information to begin to build his weapons theories and training that were not complete until after the war years. All lhis other studies were definitely augmentations in his development of his own art, but the core was clearly Daito-ryu. (plus supplemental, non-martial training from Shingon and neo-Shinto which he almost surely used to augment his power. I'm only jumping in because whatever the rest of your argument - which I'll honestly say I cannot understand - you are not factually supported in citing Yagyu Shinkage-ryu as a significant influence on Ueshiba's aikido.
BTW - to David Orange. I was walking thru a market in Taiwan one day and there was a medicine show - just like the old west in America, selling patent medicine that would cure anything and make you strong. Their demonstrators were a couple of kung fu guys, who did unliftable body, unbendable arm and some other of Tohei-type stuff - then a lot of other standard hard chi-kung stuff. Everyday stuff.
Best