View Single Post
Old 11-30-2006, 09:03 PM   #313
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: Aikido: The learning of natural movement

Quote:
Gernot Hassenpflug wrote:
Aha, now I am beginning to feel the void :-) That there is a point of no return - you never go back to the previous type of body, ever!
Exactly. That's why someone is being ludicrous if they say that they "do these things sometimes when everything clicks", etc. It doesn't work like that. You either do it or you don't. A guy doing obviously external karate can't seriously be "teaching Tai Chi" on the side.
Quote:
One continues to further and further develop these "ki" aspects of the body. Does that start to approach the "flip in thinking" and lifestyle that people mention when they progress on this path?
Personally, I think some people change, but a lot of people are still forever locked in the "Look at Me! Look at Me!" world. These things are skills... anyone can learn them. I know some very big name "masters" who are also self-centered people with "bad heart". I think we begin to grow up when we realize that life is not a fairly tale and there will always be good and bad.
Quote:
It's funny, because last month in ballet class I was mentioning how strong one of the young dancers is (hip, leg development). The reply from my senior was that yes, strong, but wrong: the "stretch training" of ballet needs to take over, and the muscle mass will shrink and his body will become thin - but much stronger. NOt "ki" or "jin" by any means, but certainly tendon and sinew-focussed training.
I've thought about that sort of thing a bit and I agree that the tendon/stretch strength is not something that can only be developed one way. However, I think the Asians systematized it so that they found the most complete and effective ways to develop it all over and inside.

My opinion, FWIW

Mike