View Single Post
Old 11-29-2006, 08:13 AM   #13
Gernot Hassenpflug
Dojo: Aunkai, Tokyo
Japan
Re: opening the joints

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote:
I think we had a similar discussion on "opening the joints" some years ago on the old Neijia List. Personally, I think it's a discussion where people only have a vague idea what they mean by "opening" the joints. It is *not* the same thing that is meant by "extend the ki", although of you can do the two at the same time. But "open the joints" is one of the buzz phrases you hear tossed out in martial arts from time to tiem when people are talking about "interna", yada, yada, yada. Probable it needs to be looked at closer. Remember, for instance the zen priests that Tohei had his encounter with and he showed he could push them over easily, despite their posture. Their "joints" were open because they use basic postural concepts to help develop the ki, but the had no jin and Tohei pushed them right over. It's worth figuring out exactly what is going on, IMO.
Well you're certainly right in that I personally have only a vague idea here, and I'm doing my best to describe what I am doing while calling it "opening the joints". Basically I notice a better connection to the extremities in this way, and relaxed in the places that Akuzawa's exercises try to get me to relax in. So I threw this out for a discussion. It's no surprise to me that people who know more can tell things are mixed up :-) I don't know what basic postural concepts the Zen priests were using to help develop ki, for example, either. What exactly is going on? I feel that more muscles are not contracted (as much) than would otherwise, so probably in this manner they are freer to respond to mental judgments of where to put an imaginary groundpath? Maybe... I'm only playing around with this since two weeks back at Akuzawa's class, so I don't have a lot of practical feedback to think about yet.