View Single Post
Old 11-28-2006, 07:35 PM   #276
David Orange
Dojo: Aozora Dojo
United_States
Re: Aikido: The learning of natural movement

Quote:
Mark Murray wrote:
...if you read through the posts, you'll find that Dan, Mike and Rob are pretty much on the same page when it comes to talking about this stuff.
Well, Mark, they do seem to be talking about similar phenomena, but Mike constantly derides Dan, so he doesn't seem to think they're doing the same thing. Second, Mike has much more CMA background than he has aikido. And Akuzawa's background also seems to be more Chinese than aiki-oriented, so I'm still not sure that this isn't something that's being adopted from Chinese arts and applied to Japanese arts--not that there's anything wrong with that, but I don't think it's part of the original nature of the Japanese arts and so it's mistaken to say that "this" is what's missing from Japanese budo.

Quote:
Mark Murray wrote:
Read the entry on Aikido Journal about Ushiro. It's all internal stuff.

And from Ikeda sensei:

"The kind of power through kokyu that Ushiro sensei has been teaching...."

If you can argue with Ikeda against all this, I'd certainly like to be there. I felt Ikeda and he's very good. If he thinks that that our kokyu should be changed ... I'm nowhere near a level to argue that point.
Well, that's a couple of more points, Mark. Please note that Ikeda sensei said "power through kokyu." To me, this reinforces what I have said--that kokyu, itself, is NOT power and certainly not an "issued" power. You achieve power "through" kokyu, which is to say through integrating mind and body via the breath.

I'm also not sure what you think I would argue with him about. I don't think he would have told Mochizuki Sensei that his kokyu needed to be changed and that is what I know as kokyu. Real kokyu needs not be changed. False kokyu needs only be made into real kokyu, if that's what you mean. I can't see Ikeda Sensei saying that the kokyu of Morihei Ueshiba was wrong. What's wrong is the modern idea of kokyu.

Note also, how Ushiro Sensei developed his power: kata and kumite. He mentioned nothing about special exercises outside kata and free fighting. Clearly, the fighting is, to him, a very essential aspect of developing that special power. In Mochizuki Sensei's dojo, it was kata and randori--with heavy resistance and weapons. I think Ushiro Sensei is more likely to agree with my points than with some of the others that have been expressed, so I don't see myself arguing with him or Ikeda Sensei, either.

Also, please note that Ushiro Sensei spoke explicitly of "ki" as a matter of intent, and that its most important function is mind-to-mind, before any contact is made. If this were a physical thing, developed from the fascia or alignment of ground paths, how could it affect people at a distance with no contact?

Quote:
From the Article wrote:
"In order to address this limitation, it is necessary to find something that is not based on physical power - something not visible to the eye, something that controls the opponent even before contact is made. This is ki. If one can cultivate ki, then one can utilize it in all aspects of life, says Ushiro shihan.
"Ushiro shihan states that ki solves everything. Ki is neither strength nor timing, but energy that spreads out from the hara to the entire body. Furthermore, there are levels of ki; from the most elementary, to levels that have no limit. All budo training begins from the starting point of learning to bring out this ki.

"Exactly how can one nurture ki? Ushiro shihan cultivated his ki by repeatedly practicing kata, and by the practice of free sparring.

"True ki emerges through practice. Ki is not just automatically there. Through the practice of free sparring, when your body cannot escape, your heart and mind cannot escape, when you notice that you can enter your opponent without being overcome, then ki begins to emerge. The necessary basis for entering is kata. However, it is not that kata comes first, nor is it that sparring comes first. Each must complement the other in order to begin to feel and develop ki."

But the greatest factor in cultivating ki is everyday, real-world practice, says Ushiro shihan. He not only practices budo but he also runs a successful company. As an electronics developer and researcher, he works with major entities such as Panasonic, Mitsubishi, Sony, NEC, Sharp, and even NASA. He has developed numerous integrated circuits based upon his own patents. He has amassed an extraordinary amount of business experience. The severity and competition in the business world is on an entirely different plane than that of competitive sports. Ushiro shihan practices and preserves the foundations of budo, by reminding himself of his experience in that strict, demanding, real-world business environment, even amidst our relatively peaceful modern times. He believes that is the way budo training in the modern world should be."
So ki is not primarily a product of mechanical alignment of the body but of involvement with life and traditional arts are very good for developing it.

Sounds like another guy I'd like to meet.

Best wishes.

David

Last edited by David Orange : 11-28-2006 at 07:48 PM.

"That which has no substance can enter where there is no room."
Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.davidorangejr.com