View Single Post
Old 11-24-2006, 05:43 PM   #18
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States
Re: Discussion of Summer Camp 2006 on AJ

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote:
Here. This excerpt from an interview with Minoru Inaba contains some very important pointers. I've posted it maybe 3 times already:
Thank you, very much.

I'll consider it and comment on the points made.
Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote:
Go back and look at the discussion article and the point about "floating" your opponent at the moment of touch.
I know. I can DO that in kokyu tanden ho, tenchinage, shionage, and so on -- just not nearly as consistently yet as I might like, hence the motivation to explore these issues so intently by other means ... You may be free to wander the country at need for seminars -- some of us are not.
Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote:
They're manipulating "paths" of forces with their minds, Erick. You can do it; anyone can do it. To make it a global skill in your body takes time. If you want to manipulate it and have "power releases", then maybe we can discuss some surprising rotational aspects. If you want to really "move with your hara", some of it can be explained in terms of rotational dynamics, but it would be a needless exercise in sophistry.
What you deem sophistry I deem useful translation from one conceptual system to another. I do not expect that a mechanical description of affairs results in one-weekend aiki wonders -- far from it. I am not trying to supplant one body of knowledge with another, or toestablish some ridiculous iodea of heirarchy between them, one way or the other, but to augment both of them with better descriptive power, if not some suggestive training possibilities.

As you may have guessed by now, it ain't always appreciated -- for some reason.

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.