View Single Post
Old 02-03-2002, 05:31 PM   #65
Brian Crowley
Quote:
Originally posted by Aleksey: 1) Many people don't seem to realize that the dojo practice is idealized.
I agree and I think this puts them at a huge psychological disadvantage when they face the non-ideal situation. I have even seen at least one Aikido school compound this potential problem by including a phrase like "Self Defense School" in the name of the school when, in fact, the school really did not have a self-defense emphasis. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with not making self-defense the focus of training - there are many other great reasons to study. But then, maybe one of those other reasons should be part of the name of school in place of "self defense". Just my opinion.

Quote:
Then there's the whole "fence" thing taught by many reality self-defense instructors, which in its physical manifestation awfully resembles IKKYO-UNDO.
I haven't heard the term "fence", but I think I know exactly what you are talking about. In fact, I've had similar thoughts to yours myself. Of course, while the physical manifestations of ikkyo-undo may be similar, they can be a world-away if you are not aware of the applications and modifications that can make a world of difference. The Attack Proof book I mentioned (by John Perkins) has a move that looks somewhat like a modified ikkyo-undo, but the differences in application are immense.

Brian