View Single Post
Old 11-24-2006, 02:39 PM   #11
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: Discussion of Summer Camp 2006 on AJ

Quote:
Erick Mead wrote:
Actually, judging from what Ushiro Sensei actually said about the critical involvement of internal rotation, I'd say I look to be headed roughly the right way from the perspective of Western mechanics in looking closely at gyrational dynamics.
Hmmmmm. I know what he meant. So do a lot of people. It's probably closer to a force-couple than a true rotation, Erick, even though "rotation" is the more commonly used term. The point is, if you really understood these things, we wouldn't be sparring over terms like this. The reason I can read Rob's comments, Akuzawa's methods, Dan's descriptions, etc., and comfortably know what they're talking about is that there's really only a few basic principles. At best, you're attempting to fit those principles into an explication (not really a true theory) involving "gryational dynamics".
Quote:
It would be laughable, were it not so sad and contradictory, for the advocates of exploring alternatives to squelch exploration because it is "not well-understood, or well-accepted." Well, isn't that sort of the point?? Can we not admit that there are multiple, legitimate perspectives?
Erick, if we were talking about some sophisticated analysis of some of the cute offshoot tricks to these skills, I'd be open to "multiple, legitimate perspectives". But we're not. We're talking about root basics and you have a theory that you love... while tellingly don't understand the common conversation. Do it your way. That's your business. The only problem would come, as I mentioned, if you're teaching this unusual and obscure meta-theory as the 'truth' to beginners. But that's your business, too, I guess.

Regards,

Mike Sigman