View Single Post
Old 11-23-2006, 10:06 PM   #253
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States
Re: Aikido: The learning of natural movement

Thanks Dan, for taking the time to gvie some very useful concrete description to these concepts.
Quote:
Dan Harden wrote:
When you hear discussions of resistence, bouncing off, casting, disruption, etc, you are hearing discussions of the "affect" on the opponent apllying force on us due to the "effect" that bujutsu training -in-our bodes has on that force. ... blending ... is so basic a movement principle as to be insulting ...it is full speed...in the wrong direction.
You will forgive me, that all my Chinese sources on these points, academic though they may have been, were in line with Master Yao's statement explicitly predicating resistance.

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote:
.... As you pull around you on the right you are "pulling" with a straight arm keeping the triceps slack. Pay attention to the spine; head erect, sacrum dropped spine being stretched open. You are pulling away with your spine and drawing in on the inside lines of your body. ... As you push on the ground with your right and drawing away with the spine you are pushing across your lower center into your hips and activating/joining your left side. ... your right lower center is now activating your left lower center and you upper center is joined- your pulling force is connected to a pushing force across your spine. you are now using the power on the right to do the opposite on the left. Allowing it to push forward with your left hand as you pull with the right.
This sounds like "prayer drum" motion, in slo-mo, with isometric attention to each joint force couple as it receives and is moved by the energy translated/trotated from the next joint in the path, and passes it on in turn. Because each joint is moved in translation and rotation slightly as it i movd by the impinging force, the line of force that each joint is responding to alters successively, forming a spiral of incremental translation/rotaiton. The same thing happens on the way back out from tanden to the point of extension, and this spiral, in both paths, is the shape of ikkyo.

In this mode of motion, as we use it, each joint in the path toward the tanden is progressively being moved, all the way to the tanden and then the tanden communicates that movement back along a path of extension. Sometimes the paths of connection and extension are in opposite sides of each force couple in the joints of the same limb. In others the points of connection and extension are in different limbs altogeher or merely the hips or belly, depending on technique.

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote:
Where you fall short Erik is thinking this work you see in testing is resistence training. When in fact the opposite is true its neutral training.
If by neutral you mean mere inertia, well, even passive inertia is reaction force opposng the impinging force and is thus, resistance. To not resist, you must be moved. That movement may occur in the manner I described that is quite subtle but it must be movement, however small, or else there is resistance.

If, instead, this is simply a sequenced way of accepting force and being moved by that force -- in each joint couple in turn -- from point of connection to tanden and then back out again to point of extension -- well, it is kokyu tanden ho, and we do it all the time.
Quote:
Dan Harden wrote:
... you hear such critism of those Aikidoka who move all over the place just to "blend" and move an opponent.
That is the thing, though, I do not move my opponent at all, he does; I merely serve as the amplifying instrument through which his own action feeds back to disturb itself. It involves some "feed forward" actually, but the principles are the same. In training we must set up some of those preconditions to make it manageable fro a givne skill level and yet still well-mapped onto motion in actual attack -- but that is it.

And I hope that a Happy Thanksgiving was had by all!!

My center has certainly developed -- to dangerous proportions at this point ...

Last edited by Erick Mead : 11-23-2006 at 10:15 PM.

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.