View Single Post
Old 11-19-2006, 07:52 PM   #106
Gernot Hassenpflug
Dojo: Aunkai, Tokyo
Japan
Re: Aikido: The learning of natural movement

Quote:
Christian Moses wrote:
This last post has demonstrated to me at least that you have no real concept of how irimi works. I'm not talking about strength on strength, neither is Dan. Bye now.
Since there are limits to everything, even special and secret training, clearly there would be a limit, as Dan has also pointed out to dispel notions of invincibility - I remember Minoru Akuzawa saying after having some really big guy (twice his weight, lterally) pushing against him (Ark has his feet parallel, and his body arches back while he maintains his balance at his own limits) that he thinks at his level probably his training lets him face people up to twice his weight. Any more than that and he'd be overpowered (if he did not move, that is). So that means that the special training can make up for, give or take, one more times one's own weight against a TRAINED opponent (trained to a high level in boxing and some amount of grappling, in this case). I would say most aikido people do not qualify as trained in this sense, so a small guy could surprise people more than twice his own weight.