Old 11-19-2006, 07:44 PM   #100
David Orange
Dojo: Aozora Dojo
United_States
Re: Aikido: The learning of natural movement

Quote:
Tim Fong wrote:
David,

Do you remember the "pushout" exercise/videos that Rob posted a while back? You can use that type of movement to stop someone much larger than yourself, and off balance them without moving your feet. You should give it a shot. It's not "technique" the way you think about it, as vectoring and angles through large externally visible movement. It's more about technique that is developed to learn how to move _inside_ the body.
Tim, I've actually tried that a bit. It seems interesting, in light of some of the explanations I've read--yours in particular.

Actually, I have had great success moving people much larger than myself and being unmoveable to them with just the aikido training. Recently, a large, young football player for my university team came by and wanted to try aikido, so I showed him the fundamentals.

Among other things, I had him grab my arm with both hands, then pressed down and curled in and up. It's one of the basic kokyu ho in Saito's book, "Aikido: It's Heart and Appearance." The football player, much larger and heavier than I, and a weight trainer used to muscling people around, came off his balance and didn't move me, even though I was standing in a shoulder-width stance.

I didn't try the push-out exercise with him as I don't really know it that well, but I was able to move him around from a shoulder-width stance without stepping and without working hard. He was pretty impressed and my regular training partner was impressed. He said it was interesting to see me do those things to someone else. He'd felt them many times, but had never seen what it looked like when I did it to someone else.

After that, I did two-man seizing with one of them on each arm. I moved both of them around easily.

So while I don't consider myself on Dan's level, I'm not a stranger to moving bigger, stronger people around and neutralizing their strength.

I do know that you can uproot force by entering, but there may be a limit to this. Anyway, if I can't overcome their force, I can change directions and move them in another way.

Second, if the attack is with a sword, you must evade the attack, no matter how you slice it. There is no way to overcome a sword cut or thrust but by evading it and not being in its path.

And third, if the attacker is Akebono, I wonder how well Chris or Dan or any of the other internal adherents would do? I think they would be doing well to hold up as smartly as the baby. So it's a relative term. Chris gave examples of the baby evading all those adults who had to be three times his height and nine times his weight. And while that may not have illustrated all the principles of aiki and none at the height of the potential development, I maintain that it did illustrate important root qualities of aiki.

Thanks,

David

"That which has no substance can enter where there is no room."
Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.davidorangejr.com