View Single Post
Old 11-19-2006, 01:34 PM   #97
David Orange
Dojo: Aozora Dojo
United_States
Re: Aikido: The learning of natural movement

Quote:
Christian Moses wrote:
Irimi could be considered the fundamental priciple of aiki. This is the counterintuitive aspect of aikido strategy, that I'm safest by moving into an attack than away from it. You're giving examples of something else which I don't consider to be aikido.
In the first baby aikido video, the baby uses irimi tenkan to get into position for sankyo.

Quote:
Christian Moses wrote:
I don't feel like commenting on the article. I'm not interested in rabbits and oak trees.
Well, maybe you don't consider Morihei Ueshiba's ideas on aiki to be relevant, but even students of Sokaku Takeda had to grudgingly admit that he was outstanding in his aiki ability. Did you read the article?

The question on rabbits is directly relevant to your belief that children can't do aiki.

Quote:
Christian Moses wrote:
If you have the manual translated as "Budo Training in Aikido" would you care to comment on the total lack of avoidance or evasion as a strategy, but rather the constant emphasis on an overpowering attack or at least irimi?
As I said, I've seen Kondo Sensei demonstrate standing in a spot, parrying the incoming shomen uchi and throwing the attacker with that. And as I said, the baby used irimi to enter into position for sankyo.

But could you use such pure-strength tactics against someone three times your own size? When the strength and size are so overwhelming, no one can. Evasion and turning are essential aiki in that circumstance.

David

"That which has no substance can enter where there is no room."
Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.davidorangejr.com