View Single Post
Old 11-19-2006, 10:40 AM   #90
ChrisMoses
Dojo: TNBBC (Icho Ryu Aiki Budo), Shinto Ryu IaiBattojutsu
United_States
Re: Aikido: The learning of natural movement

Quote:
David Orange wrote:
But I say that evasion is the first step of aiki--evasion while keeping one's own balance and ability to move at will.

If you can't keep the opponent from landing his force on you, then you can't effect direction and control. If you can't keep him from trapping you, you certainly can't then trap him.

So evasion is the root of aiki, and that's all I have ever said that children have: the root. But they have the whole root, viable and able to be cultivated. They can evade the efforts of much larger, stronger people, maintain their own position and be ready to move again at will. You just gave an excellent example of a toddler doing all that.

Once they can do that, they can learn to subtle direction and how to take control. But without that ability, you have nothing to build on.

Does that make more sense?

Best to you.

David
Thanks David. In my mind this is the first useful post of this thread, because now we can understand what you consider to be the root of aiki movement. I now fully understand why we disagree so completely. I totally and utterly disagree with that understanding of what the 'root' nature of aiki is. Therefore it would follow that we would be in disagreement.

Here's something to ponder:
-If the goal of aikido's movements is to defeat the opponent at the moment of contact, how is this defeat manifest if one has merely evaded the initial attack and the attacker is free to launch another attack?