View Single Post
Old 11-18-2006, 11:29 PM   #80
David Orange
Dojo: Aozora Dojo
United_States
Re: Aikido: The learning of natural movement

Quote:
Christian Moses wrote:
...one of the barely-upright ones made a mad dash, hands out, for the side of the grill. Along the way he evaided his mother, father and several other adults attempting to restrain him. I didn't have time to put everything down so before I could think I stuck my leg out between him and the grill. He ran into my shin, and I used my foot to coaxe him around 180 degrees. He couldn't evade me, he couldn't trip me and he was effectively powerless against my gentle direction. Why? Because I was using the principles of ju/aiki to affect his skeletal structure, concepts that he has no notion of. Those to me are the roots of ju/aiki, not the gross physical movements.
So how many years of ju-aiki training do you have? And you were the only one there who could stop that toddler? You have made my point for me, Chris. He had more ju-aiki than anyone there except someone who had been training for many years. He evaded all of them with ju and aiki. What you're talking about is only more highly developed ju and aiki.

Quote:
Christian Moses wrote:
David, we're bipedal creatures, of course you're going to see similar movements between children and aikido. But again, to be a true root of aiki, I believe it has to be something unique to the methods and strategies of aikido.
What about Mikel's first example does not show the unique methods and strategies of aikido? The girl did not conflict with the boy. She used circular motion, timed to his motion, in harmony with his direction and effort and fulfilled her own goal, which was not to throw him, but to keep control of the cell phone.

When we start practicing these things not as a support of daily life but to throw for throwing's sake, maybe that's what Morihei Ueshiba meant by "You are not doing aikido."

Quote:
Christian Moses wrote:
Finally, not everyone likes Feldenkrais, it is far from a universally accepted concept.
Which part is not accepted? There are some things he says that I can't accept, but in general, I find, through experience and observation, that most of what he says is true. And his Method has produced great results for thousands and thousands of people. But it comprises a very broad and subtle range of ideas. Which ones, in particular, do you reject?

And last, what about that interesting article on Aikido Journal, in which Morihei Ueshiba says "If you could understand the secret, you could do aikido at my level in three months"?

What secret does he mean by that?

http://www.roleystoneaiki.com/The%20...of%20Aiki.html

David

"That which has no substance can enter where there is no room."
Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.davidorangejr.com