Old 11-18-2006, 03:27 PM   #71
David Orange
Dojo: Aozora Dojo
United_States
Re: Aikido: The learning of natural movement

Quote:
Michael Douglas wrote:
OK first, those pushing babies.
Simply, the stronger or heavier or less unbalanced pushes the other over or they both fall, or they both topple to the side.
Well, that's really what happens in a sumo match.

Quote:
Michael Douglas wrote:
This is because of their absolutely terrible balance, wobbly structure and weakness. They aren't conciously or subconciously letting force build up then yielding, they are just so bad at shoving that your deluded observation sees such 'ju' things there. Please don't be offended I'm not trying to insult you but I need to use the 'deluded' word to make myself clear.
No, I don't think you need to use that word. I understand your emotions. It's okay. You're flailing. However, babies do push and give way. Again, it's the "root".

Quote:
Michael Douglas wrote:
They pull, usually directly on your hold which is inefficient. They flail randomly until you (not me) might feel they are at a place where you cannot move tham and they can maintain their position : I say not true, even in the slightest.
Well, you're very broadly generalizing in a way that tells me you have not really observed babies in action. Do you have children of your own? How much time have you spent really dealing with toddlers?

Quote:
Michael Douglas wrote:
Or maybe it isn't powerful because they are uncoordinated, weak, and have terrible balance. They just 'struggle' and are easily controlled by an adult or older child who is concentrating on the task.
If they were your size, doing what they do, you would be hard-pressed to control them. Again, you generalize very broadly. Children are not really that terribly uncoordinated or weak. Their nervous systems are learning and developing coordination second-by-second. It is the time of the most spectacular rate of learning that a human ever experiences. You should observe chidren much more before you continue commenting.

Quote:
Michael Douglas wrote:
When a child is seen to escape or be unmoved by an adult I see an adult who is distracted, exasperated, and actually unwilling to control that child by force ... for example by actually pulling or gripping hard. We are still talking babies and toddlers right?
And I'm only talking about a phenomenon about as long-lived as the spark you get when you touch a door knob. I don't think you have the perception to detect something that fine from your comments. For a very brief instant, babies are able to willfully escape. As I've said repeatedly, their parents are almost always able to catch them right away, which is why the babies themselves don't recognize and learn to capitalize on that kind of movement. If they did realize how powerful their evasions are, they could develop it as they grow and we soon would be unable to control them at all.

However, if we guide them gradually and creatively, we can still protect them, yet nurture that ability so that it can eventually become as powerful as the lightning that is the correlate of the spark.

And now a question for you: can a rabbit eat an oak tree?

David

"That which has no substance can enter where there is no room."
Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.davidorangejr.com