View Single Post
Old 11-17-2006, 08:18 PM   #63
David Orange
Dojo: Aozora Dojo
United_States
Re: Aikido: The learning of natural movement

Quote:
Michael Douglas wrote:
I think David Orange is wishfully (willfully?) deluded in this 'toddlers show aiki movement' theme.
Did you read the aikido journal blog post? And did you watch both videos? And what about Mikel's examples? This isn't something I've seen once or twice. I've seen it consistently in children as soon as they are able to walk.

Quote:
Michael Douglas wrote:
Most young kids have terrible balance.
And all acorns have terrible root structures. Yet giant oaks result from their growth. Aiki is like that. It comes from the weakness of children, the ura of strength.

Quote:
Michael Douglas wrote:
At what phase of child development is this harmonious movement reliable?
I'm not sure what you mean. It will reliably appear in children as soon as they can stand and walk. And the roots of it appear even earlier. Do you mean when does it become a reliable fighting skill? In that case, I'd have to say that for most people it never does become reliable. After their parents are able to catch them time after time, they get the idea that strength rules and that their impulsive escape measures are useless. As I've said, these skills must be guided and cultivated by someone who understands them. The child must be innocently encouraged and taken through activities that develop these skills without his noticing. This gives him a strong foundation without his realizing it. Eventually, he will need explicit instruction, but with a natural foundation, he will be able to grasp it so quickly it won't take much rote repetition.

David

"That which has no substance can enter where there is no room."
Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.davidorangejr.com