View Single Post
Old 11-15-2006, 04:18 PM   #39
David Orange
Dojo: Aozora Dojo
United_States
Re: Aikido: The learning of natural movement

David Orange wrote:

I haven't gone back and I've never gotten along well with anyone who had that attitude, but from what I've seen, that's the prevalent attitude for black belts.
David

Quote:
Christian Moses wrote:
Well then why do you keep bringing them up as justification for experiencing aiki where there is none?
Frankly, the shihan in question could probably convince even you that he knows aikido. I just don't like the way he teaches people concerning ukemi. When he saw my ukemi, he announced to the class that that was "judo ukemi" and that it was bound to lead to injuries. Also, I didn't refuse to fall. I just didn't fall when the technique didn't cause me to fall. I understand that this is because, in the shihan's case, he would knock you down with atemi if his general movement didn't cause you to fall. Frankly, most of the students there could have hit me with full power without knocking me off balance, though I believe the shihan could have done it. I would never say that he didn't have aiki, but that method of teaching does not seem to be passing on the essence of aikido to modern students.

Quote:
Christian Moses wrote:
As for beginners, we don't have many beginners where I train now, almost everyone there has at least one blackbelt or blackbelt level skill in at least one art. The only beginner we have is a relative of my teacher, and is about that age. He has to put up with the same level of resistance as anyone. His first day he didn't get to throw. In fact he just took ukemi and lifted weights for the first six months. The first day he got to do a technique (osoto gari) I gave him more resistance than I would for most mid level students in a typical aikido dojo. Strong constant resistance so that he had to actually accomplish the goal of the exercise. No backleading at all. He did great and is coming along really well in a very short period of time.
And is that what your own first experience was like? Is that how you would start an eight-year-old?

David

"That which has no substance can enter where there is no room."
Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.davidorangejr.com