View Single Post
Old 11-15-2006, 02:27 AM   #18
Dieter Haffner

Dojo: Tai Wa Lokeren, Budokai Mechelen
Belgium
Re: Article: 'Sincere' Attacks: A Platonic Dialogue by Peter Goldsbury

Quote:
Peter A Goldsbury wrote:
Plato used the dialogue form as a literary & dialectical device, a form of argument, usually with two or more interlocutors. There is usually no conclusion to the argument, since the questions discussed were philosophical or ethical questions.

However, Plato never himself appears in any of his dialogue's and it is very difficult to determine whether any one interlocutor actually expresses Plato's own views. So it is a great mistake to assume that the views expressed by the aikido practitioner in the dialogue are necessarily or actually the views of the author himself.
So if I understand correctly, this is still an invitation to discuss whatever is talked about in the dialogue.
But we should make the distinction that these are not the views of the author.
Quote:
Szczepan Janczuk wrote:
in fact my point was: what will happened if a beginner from specializated MA will honestly and with full intend attack very advanced aikidoka. I don't see a big deal with aikidoka attacking with their usual clumsy atemi, shomen/cut or grip -- honest or not, with intend or without, such attacks are worthless. However, this is every day sad reality in very many aikido dojo.
I agree with Szczepan (unpronounceable but copypasteable). Many times I have seen advanced aikidoka giving a bad attack. Either they bend their back after a shomen, are already overextended when they do a ski with the jo, ...
So an attack is already unbalanced by itself, tori's job is half done (or even completely done). And people would say that uke performed a good attack because they made a sincere and honest attack.

I have the luck to train with an advanced karateka. And he admits he has never given us a sincere and honest attack.
What he does do is keep his balance through out the whole attack and keeps himself grounded.
It is so much harder to take his balance then with the so-called sincere and honest attacks as mentioned above. And he is not even going at full speed, which would give us only a split second to go out of the line of attack and take the balance.

When we are uke, we try to close our openings, stay balanced and grounded. Yet the attacks are mostly lacking in at least one of these areas.
Quote:
Szczepan Janczuk wrote:
And on th base of such attacks, many instructors build their false confidence and are trying to impress the galeries with some tricks.
So let us not get over confident (a thought that might pop up when listening to our aikido enthusiast) and realize that there is much more work to be done then we might think.