View Single Post
Old 11-14-2006, 07:06 PM   #22
David Orange
Dojo: Aozora Dojo
United_States
Re: Aikido: The learning of natural movement

Quote:
Mikel Hamer wrote:
Wow! It's so weird that other people have seen this too! I think we're on to something Davey boy! Hahaha, It makes me feel good inside to think about this kind of thing. Sorry, but thats's the only way I can describe it.
I'm glad you have noticed this aspect of both our art and our humanity. It makes me feel very good that other people are independently noticing these things. I wish we could get more video of this kind of child movement, but I believe you have to be very discreet in trying to capture it. Self-consciousness will completely inhibit the response.

Thanks for starting this thread!

Quote:
Raul Rodrigo wrote:
David, assuming that this is true, what would be the consequences for the way you or I should train in aikido? Does a student who makes this premise as a foundation of his practice learn to do better aikido?
I think the lesson is simply to be more observant and put more value on the things that other people overlook and disregard. O-Sensei didn't get better by using more effort but by using less, focused in the appropriate way and using the whole body at once at the most appropriate place to achieve the greatest effect. And to do that, you have to have very fine perception. You can't just grossly notice that there's another person. You have to really perceive what's going on in his entire system and get with what he's doing.

And that means you must first "get with" your own system. So if you see that aiki is natural to babies, and realize that that means it's natural to human beings, then your real aikido pratice should focus on finding the real nature of what your teacher shows you on the mat.

As George Ledyard said, "...most folks doing Aikido [don't] really understand much of what constitutes "aiki"."

And to me, this is because aikido has become a "brand name product" that can only be constituted with the "seven secret herbs and spices" in the recipe of the particular "brand" of aikido one happens to study.

But I believe that the "real" aikido is literally a force of nature. Like Franklin's recognition that static electricity from a carpet is the same as lightning from a thunderhead, we need to see that aikido is not made on the mat by following a repetitious recipe, but that it is made person-to-person from the friction of human beings in relation to one another.

So whatever you study on the mat, the real understanding comes in daily life, watching people interact, and interacting with them. And respecting the value of what a child can show you will give you the finer perceptions needed to take that to a deeper level than ever.

Hope that makes sense.

Best wishes.

David

"That which has no substance can enter where there is no room."
Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.davidorangejr.com