View Single Post
Old 11-14-2006, 03:47 PM   #13
Nick Pagnucco
United_States
Re: Article: 'Sincere' Attacks: A Platonic Dialogue by Peter Goldsbury

Quote:
Demetrio Cereijo wrote:
makes me wonder about what could be the motivations for the use of the word "degenerate". Why not "evolve" or even a neutral "move"?
I can definitely agree that devolve suggests wrestling is bad.

When I see lines like those you are objecting to, I read it as the aikidoka in question has resorted to very un-aikido like behavior, which resembles a caricature of another martial art, often wrestling or karate.

A few years ago, my sensei was criticizing our practice for lacking a proper energy. Because without energy & intent behind the attacks & techniques, "All you're doing in Tai Chi." (I'll use the spelling that goes best with pronunciation )

Now... I've assumed since then that he did not intend to suggest all taiji was silly and pointless. However, from his point of view, which includes aikido necessarily being martial, he wants to make a distinction between good aikido on one hand, and the stereotype of new agers moving slowly in a park.

We all use more verbal shorthands than we should, so I try to look for shorthands and figure out what the long hand version is. Of course, if there is a constant pattern (like ALWAYS making fun of wrestling or taiji), well, then thats different.