View Single Post
Old 11-14-2006, 10:12 AM   #19
crbateman
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Re: This is Aikido, by Tohei

Quote:
Aran Bright wrote:
I'm sorry but I can't help my self. I have to put in a shameless plug for my teacher. Well perhaps the master of my style if you will.

His name is Koretoshi Maruyama. I don't want to go in to the details of his background other than to say his background was as one of Tohei's students. He also has a beautiful way of explaining the kokyu forces or movement of Ki through the body. He has written a book but it was basically just reproducing Tohei's theories, I don't think he was able to give his own.

The only body of work he has produced is DVDs of his seminars. It is my hope that he one day writes a book I believe it will parallel 'This is Aikido'.

Again, please forgive my shameless plug.

As for the question on how to develop these fascial forces, take a class or look up fascial release techniques. Particularly the work of the Barnes family. Very Neat
Far be it from me to correct you about your own teacher, but Maruyama Sensei DID write a book (supervised by Tohei Sensei). It is called "Aikido with Ki" and it was first published in 1984. I would not call it a timeless classic, but it is a well thought out and useful book.