View Single Post
Old 11-14-2006, 10:25 AM   #17
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: This is Aikido, by Tohei

Quote:
Nicholas Pagnucco wrote:
I noticed you said that, and if I was to interpret that statement conservatively, you aren't recommending this book to me or many other people here, because I do not have a foothold understanding (physically or intellectually) of kokyu. The fact I don't have the ability to judge is the first of several problems.

So I'm faced with the question of if there is a point to reading any of this until I have really experienced something in person. I beleive it can be useful, so long as I don't inflate academic and experiential knowledge. But the academic knowledeg can still give me a few hints and pointers, at least in the sense of knowing what to look for (the cross of aiki concept, for example). Assuming I don't really know, I can still try and amass information from online sources. Even if I'm wrong about it being useful, its at least an interesting read.

Aside from the 'book learning', the other thing I can do is keep training at my dojo. And while its not the best place for discussions of ki and kokyu, its definitely not aiki-bunny, there definitely is stuff to learn for aikido, and its a community I like belonging to. Until my life circumstances change a bit, the best path I have is train and read, even if the two dont couple as much as I want.
Hi Nick:

The main impetus for my recommending the book was to point out that even though we often say "no one will tell us how to do those things", there's actually a lot of literature out there (this book goes back to the late 60's) that mentions lots of things that we didn't pick up on in those days.

Frankly, my general advice is to find someone who can help you get your foot in the door before you start trying to do things you've read in books, heard about, and so on.

Best.

Mike