View Single Post
Old 11-14-2006, 09:06 AM   #16
Nick Pagnucco
United_States
Re: This is Aikido, by Tohei

Quote:
Bryan Bateman wrote:
Starting bid was a tenner, now upto £46 with 9 days to go.
And the longer this thread goes, the higher the price.

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote:
Notice how I first stipulated "...If someone can get a foothold idea of how to use the jin/kokyu forces of "ki"...". What I'm saying is sort of along the lines of a comparison to something like, for instance, the 3-D video-graphics of Aikido techniques... the video analyses show the technique, but totally miss a discussion of the hidden forces, the ki/kokyu forces which are the heart of the real technique.
I noticed you said that, and if I was to interpret that statement conservatively, you aren't recommending this book to me or many other people here, because I do not have a foothold understanding (physically or intellectually) of kokyu. The fact I don't have the ability to judge is the first of several problems.

So I'm faced with the question of if there is a point to reading any of this until I have really experienced something in person. I beleive it can be useful, so long as I don't inflate academic and experiential knowledge. But the academic knowledeg can still give me a few hints and pointers, at least in the sense of knowing what to look for (the cross of aiki concept, for example). Assuming I don't really know, I can still try and amass information from online sources. Even if I'm wrong about it being useful, its at least an interesting read.

Aside from the 'book learning', the other thing I can do is keep training at my dojo. And while its not the best place for discussions of ki and kokyu, its definitely not aiki-bunny, there definitely is stuff to learn for aikido, and its a community I like belonging to. Until my life circumstances change a bit, the best path I have is train and read, even if the two dont couple as much as I want.