View Single Post
Old 11-10-2006, 06:01 AM   #5
Dazzler
Dojo: Bristol North Aikido Dojo
England
Re: Kuzushi, Tsukuri, Kake and stuff...

Quote:
Xu Wenfung wrote:
In Judo, when Kuzushi + Tsukuri + Kake are in harmony, you get an Effortless Throw.

I am opening this thread to solicit ideas if we could find similar equivalent concepts in aikido to tell new practitioners in order for them to understand the mechanics of a Good aikido throw/techniques..
Hi Xu

I think this is exactly the principle behind Aikido.

I've been taught the following ...

At its highest level (way beyond me.............) Toris yin is harmonised with ukes yang energy. or visa versa....

Hence the name ...Ai (Man) Ki...(energy / life force..whatever floats your boat and Dao...as in Tao. A much better translation than Do "the way".

Assuming there is a state of balance which is disturbed by Uke applying a positive attack. This is redressed by Tori applying a negative absorbing receiving move to restore the balance.

A more powerful attack requires less effort to address, less powerful requires more input from Tori.

However, (Im sure this is already far too fluffy for many)

There exist a set of rules which must be applied in order for the Aikido to remain martial.

These are really what most people can practice...more of an Intermediate level perhaps).

You've already nailed some of them - Kamae...bad relationship can be dangerous for Tori ( As per CTs shihonage in the clip. Lovely throw but at one stage he's stood right in front of uke who waits compliantly to flip).

Maai - distance. eg Kotagaeshi at arms length, Irimi nage of behind ones partner and weapons if 5 feet away.

Shisei...good posture.

Irimi / Tenkan, Tai Sabaki, Kokyu, Kokyu-Ryoku.

and so on.

Simple merging yin and yang is all very nice but unless the bases are applied then, yes - aikido can be a bit of a dance. Throws become throws for the sake of it and the "Aikido" can be dangerous for the person doing it.

We tend to teach beginners simple techniques with a few of the more obvious bases thrown in, ...Many people stay at this level...they believe the techniques are what aikido is...

In my experience ...As people progress we build on this to the point where the techniques are used to practice the bases eg. important stuff.

(Hence our view that they are not really techniques at all but tools to learn the bases).

Finally... I believe the masters of Aikido just blend.

I can't say what happens at this level of purely blending energy.

I'm not there yet and have really just dabbled.

I suspect there will be little outward difference but hopefully both I and my ukes will feel the difference!

I'll let you all know!

Regards

D
(in full fluffy friday mode)