View Single Post
Old 11-09-2006, 09:47 PM   #1
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia
Kuzushi, Tsukuri, Kake and stuff...

Dear friends,

In Judo, when Kuzushi + Tsukuri + Kake are in harmony, you get an Effortless Throw.

I am opening this thread to solicit ideas if we could find similar equivalent concepts in aikido to tell new practitioners in order for them to understand the mechanics of a Good aikido throw/techniques. I have some ideas, let me begin:

1) Tai-Sabaki (Irimi & Tenkan)
This concept should be the first principle. A Tori should always always use Tai-sabaki skill to get out of the line of hostile intent.

2) Kamae (Posture)
A strong Kamae, like Tsukuri (Body positioning) will allow a Tori the proper body mechanics to generate the necessary power to effect a throw. Without a good kamae, ukes are usually unstable and they are open for counters from more experienced martial artists.

3) Kokyu Power (Focused Power)
In this concept, I think a focused power using Tori's entire body momentum to apply a singular force at a small are on uke will produce an effective technique. For example let's visit Mae Otoshi (Hiji-ate). Using Tori's entire forward momentum to go against the elbow joint of Uke will produce a very effortless throw.

I could be wrong, but the above are some of my thoughts currently to help me explain aikido techniques to newbies. I hope this will help them to understand the mechanics behind aikido techniques. So what do you all think? Am I out of my league here?

Boon.

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.