View Single Post
Old 11-05-2006, 10:31 PM   #9
aikidodragon
Dojo: North West Arkansas Aikido
United_States
Re: Aikido for Drug/alcohol Rehab

I think that Aikido is grate for abusers and ther victoms.

First of all some one who is abusing a drug, or lashing out at people can binifit from the principles. Aikido i think teaches one to bewere of them selves. If you feel a craving coming on, you can practicing medation, kata, or worm ups. If you feel like hurting others you may be aware enough that you can stop and practice the breathing excersises.

For the victoms aikido gives them a safe outlet for there emotions. For me theripy did not work, i would tell them what ever they wanted to hear to get them to leave me allone, and the medications eventually stopped working. The first art i took up after the abuse was Judo. It allowed me a chance to learn how to manage my rage and hate. However i think aikido has helped me the most. Being able to go to practice has kept me from going back to the self destructive habits i had. i find myself doing meditative breathing when some thing presents its self and and starts to bring back flashbacks. It has also helped me to learn to trust people again. i have to trust them not to hurt me, and that was the hardes thing for me to relearn.

this may not help you, but this is how aikido is helping me deal with the depression and the P.T.S. It has also helped keep me off drugs and out of the mental words.

I wish you the best of luck with your program.

:kiAikido is just origami with people.