View Single Post
Old 01-27-2002, 05:45 PM   #59
Sarah
Dojo: Aikido Shinryukan Canterbury
[quote]Originally posted by ca
[b][quote]Originally posted by Sarah
[b]
I've been thinking and I cannot recall ever hearing the word "blend" in my home dojo. Join up, join with, kimasubi - these are all used for a similar set of concepts. Language guides thinking....

I'd be interested in hearing from other posters - do your teachers use the word "blend" frequently?
How about "one point" and "extend ki". Are there any other words you see used here that aren't part of your usual dojo vocabulary?

this was as you agreed with Chris that 'blend' was a word to be avoided...great substitution with 'kimasubi'

I didn't suggest that it be subistituted. I just said that we don't use it. We use these other words which other people don't necessarily understand. Neither is better or worse. Just different. Which I believe is also your point. We don't use the terms `one point' or `extend ki' either. Which means that I may not have the same picture in my mind when other people do use them.

I'm too tired to snip the last quote, where Craig offers to correct his vocabularly, since you and Chris have taken him so severely to task for using 'blend', no one has answered his question on what 'kimasubi' (sic) means, and you tell him HE is too concerned about pinpointing the definition, and reassure him HE is not as kooky as you had originally suspected. It is not too far back in the posts...

No, I am saying that words are tricky little monsters - and that often definitions cannot be pinpointed. Craig offered to change, and I tried to explain why I thought that was unnecessary and possibly even counterproductive.

my goal is not to annoy you, although it seems I have achieved that. It is to get folks to avoid calling those who come from a different point of view 'kooky', 'fluffy-bunny', (and not yours) 'weak' 'weird' 'wrong'. It is all Aikido.

Point taken. I was undecided as to wether to mention that bit at all. I decided to in the interests of honesty, I mean that is really what I was thinking.
But if that is what upset you so much, why didn't you say so first off instead of attacking on all of those other, unrelated fronts.

Sarah