View Single Post
Old 11-01-2006, 12:55 AM   #3
Hanna B
Sweden
Re: Has anyone ever heard of Taijutsu

I trained in Bujinkan for something like a year.

Quote:
Matthew Feldmeyer wrote:
I guess it is derived from ninjutsu, but has been edited slightly for modern day society.
Well, Bujinkan actually is what used to be referred to with "ninjutsu". That name is seldom used these days because it 1) got kind of a bad name during the 1980's ninja boom with all the ninja movies etc. 2) actually is not very historically correct. In a historical context, ninjutsu is a subject within the art of war that contains everything from how to dress when travelling to collect information and not arousing attention, to where to shoot fire arrows to a castle to create maximum damage. A few of the traditional schools of budo that is included in Bujinkan contains some actual ninjutsu - but what is taught generally is budo, no more no less.

Quote:
Matthew Feldmeyer wrote:
They used many aiki ideas, but they were very dirty fighters as well.
I find that a pretty good description, actually. Both aikido and budo taijutsu is derived from old jujutsu arts, so that is not so strange. Skilled people in the Bujinkan kan make exceptionally soft technique - when they choose to. The style however also contains things like how to insert weapons in the opening in the opponent's armour. Many aikido techniques can be found also in the Bujinkan, but generally with the focus somewhat twisted. The focus is not on throwing, but pinning or breaking something in the opponent's body.

Quote:
Matthew Feldmeyer wrote:
The sensei mentioned to me that the godan test curriculum apparently consists of the test taker kneeling and waiting for the shihan to strike him/her in the back of the head with a bokken, and must move out of the way just in time not to get hit.
From what I've heard usually a shinai, not a bokken, which hurts a lot more if it hits. The grading system in Bujinkan is weird. They have 15 dan ranks, and practitioners that travel to Japan to train with the headmaster of the style can travel up the ranks with a speed unheard of in most budo arts.