View Single Post
Old 10-26-2006, 10:01 PM   #35
DH
United_States
Re: Meeting with Dan Harden in Boston

Quote:
Tom Holz wrote:
I'm interested in hearing about that. I stopped doing aikido after I went through Tokyo this summer; Rob got me hooked on Akuzawa's stuff. Aikido would take free time, which I think would be better spent on shiko, body axis training, or whatever solo work. But I'm not sure, so I pay attention to threads like this.

Tom
Hi Tom
I wouldn't either, but that's me. If folks love it I say let them be. I try to encourage them to "see" Aikido differently, as I think its the first step to -doing- aikido more effectively. The only issue I have is, as I explained, then showed Mark, is that this work is just about opposite the intent in aikido. Blending is a disaster as far as I'm concerned. I imagine the hardest part would be having to let people do things to you, as over time we both know it becomes damn difficult to impossible to move you or lock you any other way.
I think leaving it, fixing yourself on the inside, and going back to it is difficult also but still the best course. You can then move others and throw and lock but how are you going to get thrown? I'd not want to break my structure that way. What for? Your not gonna get led-out or redirected any day soon, and they're only going to redirect themselves by trying.
But that goes back to what I said to Mark. Aikido is fun to do if you cooporate and feel that exchange. This training will virtually nullify that play and sort of change your view of Budo forever. It makes cooperation hard to so since your body will not react that way anymore.
I recently got a letter from a Chiba/ Di Anne/ Aikikai guy who just felt a friend of mine in the CMA. He is now asking all the same questions and is realzing the dilema of facing internal power. And this CMA guy wasn't high level at all in the CMA.

Anyway, you now know as well as me that the true work is on you by changing you on the inside so you can change forces on the outside-and you don't need other people for the majority of that work. The rest is just testing work and experimenting and trying out your progress. Shiko? Yes!....one of my long time favorites. Oh the thousands of em. We have any number of various solo exercises as well, and the results are rather obvious (over time) for power delivery. We all know ya can't lie about your solo work.
The answers are right in your hands

When are you going to be in the states?
Dan

Last edited by DH : 10-26-2006 at 10:08 PM.