View Single Post
Old 10-25-2006, 06:29 AM   #35
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane
Re: Takemusu Aiki in Systematic Teaching?

Quote:
Erick Mead wrote:
...That's what I am working on, to get a sense of what such a rigorous non-linear system of training would look like, that is not dependent on the rigorous personality of the teacher
I have the same feelings myself. Although I only have a few years teaching experience I believe Ueshiba was trying to do that. I've heard that he would teach ikkyo first, and if someone new started he would start back again at ikkyo until everyone could do it. Indeed I have adopted this myself to some extent so that when I discuss other techniques I can say 'it's just like ikkyo' - by which I don't mean its the same technique, but the principles required to achieve ikkyo as a technique are exactly the same.

Also Erik, I think it is dependent on the personality of the teacher and cannot be too thoroughly systemised, as teaching is about fulfilling the learning needs of the students rather than an externally imposed discipline. (this makes me sound like I'm against systemisation, which I'm certainly not - just think we have to understand the purpose of it; when the lobster's been caught the lobster pot is forgotton...and all that!)

---understanding aikido is understanding the training method---