View Single Post
Old 10-24-2006, 03:51 PM   #1
Ari Bolden

Dojo: Victoria Jujitsu Academy
Canada
Seminars: You Get what you Give

Greetings all...it's been a while since I last posted.

Recently, I attended an aikido seminar hosted in my city of Victoria BC Canada (Frank Apodaca Sensei of Mid-Michigan Aikikai...which was fantastic by the way). I also brought 2 of my students with me. For those who don't know, I am a jujitsu instructor, teaching both Daito Ryu and Brazilian jj who also has 10 years of aikido behind him.

I regularly attend seminars when I can and try to bring some of my students along to get a feel for good and strong aikido.

My appreciation for seminars has changed over the years. When I began aikido in the late 80's and started attending seminars in the mid 90's, I never could understand why we were paying to do the same techniques in class with less instruction from the sensei/shihan.

Only after may years in the arts have I began to understand and truly appreciate seminars. You get what you give.

It is with a discerning eye that I watch the techniques and pick up the subtleties and "personalization of techniques" by the instructors. If I can bring back just 3 points from a 4 hour seminar, I am happy. It could be anything from how the instructor grips to tips of spinal control or kazushi.

The old adage of the "empty cup" is so true when one attends seminars.

However, one of the greatest benefits of seminars is meeting new people and other instructors. Ever see video clips of aikido (or jujitsu) people on the mats? There is a lot of smiling going on. Cliché as it may sound, it does make one feel good.

So, you get what you give.

My 2 cents
warm regards,
Ari Bolden
Victoria Jujitsu Academy