View Single Post
Old 10-23-2006, 11:25 AM   #16
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States
Re: Takemusu Aiki in Systematic Teaching?

Quote:
What I don't get is how you go from the training regimen of A+B=C; D+ E= F to something like A+K = Q, much less A+ Y= which may be how a given encounter actually gets resolved, and may not be a defined sequence in the planned progression.
Understandable, I suppose, if you stick with an equation sort of view in how you approach things. I guess in my mind at some point we leave the equations behind, simply because there is no time to consider such in a more realistic environment. By spending a lot of time rehersing the equations, when it comes time to move beyond them, the mind and body simply move...you don't consider what the ma ai is, or the power of the attack, or how many numbers there are...you move. And the movement is correct because you have rehersed correct movement many times in the past, with many different partners. Like the multiplication tables, you leave the equasions behind.

Quote:
With all respect, saying that we simply do jiyu waza and randori to train those aspects, severs one training environment from the other, such that there is order, and there is cahops, but not interleaving the two in a complex mixwhich is the reality of the thing.
Well, that is where the intermediate steps come into play...renzoku waza, randori (let's be frank, randori in most aikido dojo *is* an intermediate step...not nearly chaotic enough compared to reality). Even training in line fashion, where you use the same attack and the same waza against many different partners, one right after the other, constantly changing the amount of power needed, the ma ai, the strength of uke's connection...all of these things are indeed intermediate steps. While the movements and posture may seem regulated, the response still must fit the body and mind of uke at that moment. Even shite / uke training reinforces this when you 'kotite', and change partners.

Quote:
As a point of departure, however, the "chaining" of defeind techniques, whether as henka waza or as successive attacks in jiyu waza or randori is a point of conenction between us, I think. This is not so dissimilar, (although far more fixed in form -- huge surprise, huh? ) from the variational mode of teaching that I gleaned from my Iwama days.
Not surprising at all, really. I have trained in a fair number of places, trying to glean what I can from the different methodologies in place. I'd say that the one thing that I appreciated most from my training with the local AKI group, for instance, is *connection*, and connection to your partner's center. While this is taught in the yoshinkan, I had a hard time understanding and 'getting' the message. At the AKI group, they seem to concentrate on this aspect before many others, and it helped to jump start me in my search on improving this. In my opinion, having a solid base first helped me to focus on that without loosing everything else.

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)