Peter Goldsbury
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan
Re: Gokyo-why?

Quote:
Ethan Weisgard wrote:
Dear Peter Goldsbury Sensei,

In the book Budo - Teachings of the Founder of Aikido, on page 60 (photo 80 and 81), O-Sensei is doing Gokyo. The osae is not demonstrated. In Saito Sensei's book Commentary on the 1938 Training Manual of Morihei Ueshiba, Saito Sensei writes: "The Founder said in Budo: Apply Ippo (ikkyo) to this technique. However, in his later years, he changed the technique grabbing his partner's wrist from below as shown above, and called it gokyo urawaza." Saito Sensei's point was that if you used the ikkyo grab when uke was holding a blade, then you wrist was open for a cut. Another point was, even if uke was using a wooden tanto, the weapon could be used to apply a counter-pin (much a in nikyo) to nage's wrist. In Saito Sensei' commentary the pin is not shown. I have written another post in this section regarding the two forms that Saito Sensei taught for the osae.

In Aiki,

Ethan Weisgard
Mr Weisgard,

Yes, you are right. So this answers my earlier question. However, in my edition of Stanley Pranin's English translation, the waza is shown on p. 74-77. It appears on p.29 of the unpublished Japanese original and with a different photograph. Though the waza is 5-kyou, it is not named in the Japanese original. In the Japanese original, however, M Ueshiba clearly holds the attacking hand from below. As I stated, the waza does not appear in the early Japanese version of Aikido.

Best wishes,

Last edited by Peter Goldsbury : 10-22-2006 at 07:13 PM.

P A Goldsbury