View Single Post
Old 10-20-2006, 10:29 PM   #11
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States
Re: Takemusu Aiki in Systematic Teaching?

Quote:
Larry Camejo wrote:
From wht I have seen the approach may be regimented in areas but this in no way precludes the development of spontaneous manifestation of technique, since the non-linear methods are also included even if not readily evident.
My point, I suppose, is that in my admittedly eclectic arc of learning, I have glimpsed it from time to time and more and more. I have little exposure to such relatively more regimented methods in aikido, although I have much exposure to other methods of regimented learning. I cannot perceive how that transcendence is to be accomplished in a reliable way given that background. The "chaotic" model, for lack of a better term, seems to culminate at the brink of that transcendence by its nature, whatever its other potential pitfalls along the path. The regimented model would seem to require some other measure of design or plan to accomplish that, also by its nature.

I guess that is really my question.

Quote:
Larry Camejo wrote:
The message (Aikido) should stay the same as what was given but the method of communicating its nature (teaching) should adapt to the environment imho. ... This approach did not change what I taught but changed how it was packaged for the other to understand. ... But the thing is you cannot "teach" takemusu, it is an experiential manifestation in a moment of time.
Agreed, agreed. and agreed.
Quote:
Larry Camejo wrote:
What you can teach however are the tools that can help you experience takemusu and manifest it in one's own expression of Aiki.
How close can one bring a student to that experience of spontaneity by a method that is itself the antithesis of spontaneity? I do not deny the power of paradox, but how is it employed, if it is indeed the means ?

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.