Thread: Gokyo-why?
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2006, 12:48 AM   #21
ChrisHein

Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States
Re: Gokyo-why?

I've been thinking about gokyo quite a bit lately, and really I don't think I get it. Either it has never been explained to me properly (or some how I've failed to understand it in all the years I've been doing it), or it is kind of a lost technique or it's quite simply lame.

Here's what I can tell is different about gokyo then Ikkyo,

1. Your hand is palm up when you are applying it as oppose to palm down.
2. You only do ura movements when doing gokyo (Don't ask me why)
3. There is a different pin.

That's it, that's all I can see that's different from Ikkyo. I think I must be missing something. I've talk with other Aikidoka about it, people who should be in the know, but they are either as mystified as myself, or they have some silly reason, that doesn't make since to me.

One of the big questions about the whole thing for me is, the basic Iwama form for Katate dori Ikkyo, is done with the hand in the same position as gokyo (palm up), but it's not called gokyo, it's called ikkyo. Making it ever more confounding, is the fact that that form (katate dori ikkyo) is really a model form for ikkyo, but other then the fact that the pin is different and there is an omote as well as ura, it might as well be gokyo.

Another problem I have is; if the pin, and the hand position make a big enough difference to make a different form (from ikkyo to gokyo), then why aren't there more forms for nikyo? I mean I can do Nikyo on my shoulder, I can do it cross handed, or I can do it same handed, yet they are all Nikkyos. There are several different pins for sankyo, and kotegaishi, but they don't get different names just because they have different pins.

I simply don't get it. Does anyone out there have any different information about gokyo, besides the whole knife thing, I really think there has to be more to it then that.

-Chris Hein