View Single Post
Old 10-19-2006, 10:17 AM   #11
Gwion
Dojo: New York Ki-Aikido
United_States
Re: Why do some people hate Aikido?

Quote:
Ian Dodkins wrote:
I'm sure they can both kick my arse, but I would tend to agree. However, I'm not sure trying to point to what is 'true aikido' is useful. As Ueshiba said, aikido cannot be understood with words. I think people have to discover it for themselves and their teachers can only point the way. Some teachers are better for some students - but the worst student is the one who is blind and understands only one way of doing things. Yes, there is bullshit in the martial arts. Basically its up to our own judgement on what we feel is effective (as its us that will suffer the consequences!).

Its pointless saying 'my instructor is fantastic' or 'my style is the best', if you yourself are crap. We just have to be the best we can be; whether that means exploring other styles, of even other martial arts. The relationship to Budo and martial development must be the real test.... and we will argue over that for ever!
I agree, I was just clearing Tohei sensei's good name from Eric the Mead's "Aikikai is the middle ground" misinformation campaign. I personally think all the Aikido styles should get over their hangups and start hanging out and doing more intrastyle seminars and what not. I like 'em all, I just dislike it when Ki Society is misperceived as something it isn't.